31st January, Current Affairs:
- The Budget session of Parliament begins today with the President addressing a joint session.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Monday tabled the Economic Survey 2021-22 ahead of the Union Budget 2022.
- Indian economy contracted by 6.6% in 2020-21 on account of outbreak of COVID-19 and subsequent nationwide lockdown to contain the pandemic.
- Veteran India hockey goalkeeper PR Srejeesh won the prestigious World Games Athlete of the Year for his 2021 performances, becoming only the second Indian to receive the accolade. In 2020, Indian women’s hockey captain Rani Rampal became the first Indian to win the honour for her performances.
30th January, Current Affairs:
- The nation pays homage to father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 74th death anniversary today.
- Anti Leprosy Day is observed today.
- Rafael Nadal beats Daniil Medvedev 2-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 to win the 2022 Australian Open. This is his 21st Grand Slam title, his second in Australia and he has now won all four majors at least twice.
29th January, Current Affairs:
- Ashleigh Barty became the first Australian woman in 44 years to win a Grand Slam title at home after she defeated Danielle Collins 6-3 7-6 at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.
- India won bronze medal beating China 2-0 in the 2022 Hockey Asia Cup.
28th January, Current Affairs:
- India and Philippines today signed the 375 million dollar deal for the sale of BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles to the Philippines Navy.
- Dr Venkatraman Anantha Nageswaran, an academic and former executive with Credit Suisse Group AG and Julius Baer Group, has been appointed as the Chief Economic Adviser (CEA) to the Government of India.
27th January, Current Affairs:
- The government officially handed over Air India to the Tata group. The government has notified the agreement between Air India and special purpose vehicle AIAHL for the transfer of non-core assets.
- India’s drug regulator granted regular market approval for COVID-19 vaccines Covishield and Covaxin for use in the adult population subject to certain conditions.
25th January, Current Affairs:
- National Tourism Day is being celebrated today. The theme for this year is Rural and Community Centric Tourism. The Ministry of Tourism is observing this day under the aegis of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The 12th National Voters’ Day is being celebrated today. The theme for this year’s voters’ day is ‘Making Elections Inclusive, Accessible and Participative’.
- President Ram Nath Kovind will address the nation today on the eve of the 73rd Republic Day.
- A total 939 Police personnel have been awarded Medals on the occasion of Republic Day-2022. Out of this, 189 Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG) and 662 police medal for meritorious services.
- The world’s largest and most powerful telescope “James Webb space telescope” has reached its final destination – an observation post one million miles away from Earth. Nasa’s $10bn James Webb space telescope launched on 25th December last year from French Guiana on a quest to behold the dawn of the universe.
- On the eve of Republic Day, Government today announced Padma Awards. 17 persons will get Padma Bhushan. 107 persons will get Padma Shri. Former Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh and former President of Gita Press Radheshyam Khemka will be honoured with Padma Vibhushan posthumously.
24th January, Current Affairs:
- Two Indian films–Jai Bhim and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham–were included in the list of 276 films deemed eligible for the Oscars 2022 by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- National Girl Child Day is observed today.
- Former Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was conferred with the Netaji Award 2022 by Netaji Research Bureau.
- The Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management (GIDM) and Sikkim State Disaster Management Authority’s Vice Chairman Vinod Sharma have been selected for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar for 2022 for their excellent work in disaster management.
- India opener Smriti Mandhana won the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year for 2021.
- Pakistan pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi on Monday was named as ICC’s Men Cricketer of the Year.
23rd January, Current Affairs:
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s 125th birth anniversary is observed today.
- PV Sindhu defeated Malvika Bansod in straight games 21-13 21-16 to win her second women’s singles title at the Syed Modi International Badminton tournament.
21st January, Current Affairs:
- The Amar Jawan Jyoti or the eternal flame for soldiers was put out at India Gate in Delhi after 50 years and merged with the torch at the National War Memorial with a great ceremony.
- According to a US-based global leader approval tracker, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emerged as the most popular leader worldwide with 71 percent approval ratings among the 13 world leaders.
20th January, Current Affairs:
- Indonesia’s parliament has approved a bill to relocate the nation’s capital from Jakarta to a jungled area of Kalimantan on Borneo Island.
- An expert panel of India’s central drug authority granted regular market approval to Covid vaccines Covishield and Covaxin. A market authorisation label for a vaccine means it can be authorised for use without reservations or conditions.
- India successfully tested BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, with increased indigenous content and improved performance. The launch was conducted by Brahmos Aerospace in close coordination with the teams of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
17th January, Current Affairs:
- Kathak legend Pandit Birju Maharaj died at his home in Delhi late Sunday after suffering a heart attack. He was 83. Pandit Birju Maharaj was an exponent of the Kalka-Bindadin Gharana of Lucknow. Pandit Birju Maharaj received India’s second-highest civil honour, the Padma Vobhushan, in 1984 for his contributions in the field of dance.
- Punjab Assembly elections has been deferred to 20th February this year. Earlier, the poll was scheduled to take place on 14th February.
- The 9th women National Ice Hockey Championship-2022 was inaugurated at Ice Skating Rink, Kaza in Lahaul Spiti district in Himachal Pradesh.
16th January, Current Affairs:
- Virat Kohli has stepped down as the Test captain of the Indian Men’s cricket team. Kohli replaced MS Dhoni as the captain of Indian team and became the most successful Test captain with 40 wins in 68 matches.
- India has improved its passport power ranking for the year 2022, climbing seven places to rank in 83rd place compared to the 90th position last year, according to the latest report from the Henley Passport Index.
15th January, Current Affairs:
- Indian Army Day is celebrated today.
- Philippines has approved a $374.96 million contract for the purchase of shore based anti-ship BrahMos supersonic cruise missile variant from India.
- Republic Day Celebrations will now begin every year from 23rd January instead of 24th. The step was taken to include the birth anniversary of freedom fighter Subash Chandra Bose.
- National Start-up Day will be celebrated every year on 16th January.
14th January, Current Affairs:
- Makar Sankranti, Bihu and Pongal being celebrated today.
- 12 coaches of the Guwahati-Bikaner Express train derailed near the Maynaguri town of Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal. At least eight people have been killed and 45 injured.
13th January, Current Affairs:
- Eminent rocket scientist S Somanath has been appointed the new chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) as well as the Space Secretary.
- Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav today released India State Of Forest Report 2021. In 2021, the total forest and tree cover in India is 80.9 million hectares. This is over 24.60 percent of the geographical area of the country.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully conducted qualification tests of the Cryogenic Engine for Gaganyaan human space programme.
- The festival of harvest, Lohri, is being celebrated today in North India.
- American model Kylie Jenner has become the first woman in the world to reach 300 million followers on Instagram.
12th January, Current Affairs:
- National Youth Day is celebrated today.
- Fourteen-year-old Bharath Subramaniyam has become the73rd Grandmaster of India. The Chennai-based teenager completed his final GM Norm and crossed the requisite 2500 rating at Vergani Cup Open in Italy.
- Khelo India Youth Games Haryana 2021 scheduled to be held between February 5 and 14 this year has been postponed.
11th January, Current Affairs:
- India today successfully tested advanced sea to sea variant of BrahMos Supersonic Cruise missile from INS Visakhapatnam.
- Government has extended the deadline for filing income tax returns to March 15.
9th January, Current Affairs:
- Gurpurab is celebrated today to commemorate birthday of Guru Gobind Singh, who is the tenth Guru of the Sikhs.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that 26th December will be marked as Veer Baal Diwas. Mr. Modi said it will be a fitting tribute to the courage of the Sahibzades, the sons of Guru Gobind Singh and their quest for justice.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebarted today. It was on this day in 1915, Mahatma Gandhi, the greatest Pravasi Bharatiya, returned to India.
- Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel has been appointed as a vice-president of the Beijing-based multilateral funding institution AIIB (Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank).
8th January, Current Affairs:
- More than 150 crore 61 lakh COVID vaccine doses have been administered in the country so far under Nationwide Vaccination Drive.
- Election Commission today announced the Assembly polls schedule for Goa, Punjab, Manipur, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. Polling will be held over seven phases starting in UP on February 10, with counting of votes scheduled for March 10.
6th January, Current Affairs:
- The Government approved the second phase of the Green Energy Corridor with an outlay of ₹12,031 crore to facilitate grid integration and power evacuation of about 20 GW of renewable energy projects in seven states.
- Veteran Chinese diplomat, Zhang Ming, has taken over as the new secretary-general of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
5th January, Current Affairs:
- The Union Health Ministry confirmed the first death linked to the highly transmissible variant of the coronavirus, Omicron, in the country. A total of 2135 cases of Omicron have been reported in the country so far.
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced the postponement of the Ranji Trophy, Col CK Nayudu Trophy and Senior Women’s T20 League for the 2021-22 season in the wake of the rising Corona cases in the country.
3rd January, Current Affairs:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi lays foundation stone of Major Dhyan Chand Sports University at Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.
- COVID-19 vaccination for children in the age group of 15 to 18 years begins from today.
1st January, Current Affairs:
- At least 12 people were killed and 16 injured in a stampede at the Mata Vaishno Devi shrine in Jammu and Kashmir triggered by a heavy rush of devotees on New Year’s Day.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today released the 10th instalment of financial benefit under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme through video conferencing.
- Children between 15 and 18 years can register online on Cowin portal from today to receive Covaxin shots from Monday.
- India U-19 defeated Sri Lanka in the final by 9 wickets to win the Asian Cricket Council Under-19 Asia Cup title in Dubai.